Friday, October 24, 2008

Madeline's Cure-all


It's really funny to watch Madeline getting more particular about things.  She's become an expert at a very high-pitched whine.  She knows what she wants and what she doesn't....

She loves music.  You can hear her singing quite frequently.  I have recently noticed that the song "popcorn popping" and all of  its hand movements will make her snap out of any of her "moments".  This includes any whining, twisting and turning while changing a diaper, protesting to getting dressed, spitting out her baby food, and crying in the back seat.  She forgets what she's doing and immediately get's wide-eyed and tries to move her hands to the motions.  

A close second is the book "Jamberry" by Bruce Degen.  She loves all books, but seems especially enamored with this one which is weird because it doesn't have any "lift the flaps" or "touch and feel" - just silly rhymes and lots of pictures of berries.

I'm so glad Madeline loves books and songs -  I just never imagined they'd help me keep my sanity!


9 comments:

  1. Jamberry was a big hit with Meg and Soren as well. She's a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, what a good tip! I'll have to try that once Trenton is old enough to drive ME crazy! (or crazier than he already does, that is.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I do not know that she could be any cuter! I'm going to have to try "Popcorn Popping" with Ben. Does it work when they are squirming like crazy to turn over during a diaper change? Help me Rhonda. He thinks that is the funniest trick in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that I memorized Jamberry, while I was visiting you! It's true Jamberry, and Popcorn Popping worked like a charm on Madeline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really true! Hahaha her fascination with Popcorn must have most to do with the hand movements, because my mom and i were able to calm her down by singing it to her and we have terrible pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. excellent idea - I will try that! Sounds much kinder than my current method of simply pinning her down to change the diaper. And seriously - you really are so lucky she likes books. Brianna only likes to CHEW on them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So. The time difference here is 2 hours later. Your 8 p.m. is our 10 p.m., but I'm usually up late. So feel free to call whenever. 10 is actually a great time for me because Chris, Madison, and Jaxon are usually in bed. That's when I get my alone time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is so cute! I can't believe how big she is getting... isn't it weird to thinks he is getting closer and closer to being one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kids loved Jamberry... almost as much as I loved reading it out loud. Fun to hear others enjoy it, too!

    ReplyDelete