Tuesday, November 4, 2008

We Voted!


It is a rainy day here in San Diego. I took Madeline out in the rain (which is a first since it never rains here) and it didn't seem to bother her too much, except she was blinking at a very rapid rate. We walked over to our polling place and stood in line for about an hour. Madeline made friends with everyone in line and was very patient and hardly made a peep.

I have been feeling very negative the last few weeks because I worry about the world we live in and how it is declining. I'm sure this worry is mostly due to Madeline in my life. I desperately hope she has an education, society, and future that helps her be safe and happy and especially allows her to live a life that is in accordance with our Heavenly Father's teachings. Through this negativity and worry, I am grateful that despite our country's shortcomings, we still have freedoms. This political year has been an interesting one. I have been more involved than ever before. It is a blessing to be able to stand up for what you believe in. I take great comfort in knowing there is a greater plan and that our Heavenly Father is aware of each of us.

Even though right now Madeline thinks her "I voted" sticker is a cracker, I hope someday she'll take pride in voting and always stand up for what is right even if it isn't popular. I hope I can teach her how to be a good citizen and even a better daughter of God.

8 comments:

  1. I like the picture, she looks so happy. I love reading your blog! So, how was your birthday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a really good blog. I hope Madeline grows up with the best qualities from her Mom and some from her Dad too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your blog reminded me of taking you to vote with me. You were 2 days old and we went to Hangman Golf Course to cast my ballot. You were the talk of the polling place. Loved your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've put it all into perspective, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this made me feel a lot better...
    In his talk
    "Have Faith in America," President Harold B. Lee said,

    "Men may fail in this country, earthquakes may come, seas may heave beyond their bounds, there may be great drought, disaster, and hardship, but this nation, founded on principles laid down by men whom God raised up, will never fail. This is the cradle of humanity, where life on this earth began. . . . This is the place of the new Jerusalem. This is the place that the Lord said is favored above all other nations. . . . Yes, . . . men may fail,
    but this nation won't fail."

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and I have no doubt that you will!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to have our sweet kids grow up in this scary world, but you and Matt are raising her the best. She will be one of the strong ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading your comments. Madeline is one lucky girl with great parents. These are difficult times, but hold tight to each other, your faith, family, and friends, and things will be brighter.

    ReplyDelete