Sunday, January 11, 2009

Doctor's orders

Madeline had her one year check up and she weighed the same as she did in October - 16 pounds, 8 ounces. There is an explanation - I am not neglecting my daughter. The week before her appointment, she had the stomach flu and a week of diarrhea. Obviously she must have lost some weight. Anyway, her doctor told me to sneak in butter and sour cream in her foods. I found this rather funny as most doctors are worrying about childhood obesity. Madeline always has a huge appetite and isn't picky at all. I'm pretty sure with Matt's genes, she will always be small, but just to make sure she's healthy, we have to go back for a weight check in 2 weeks. I have my work cut out for me.

This little concoction may look nasty, but it was actually quite tasty. (Yes I sampled it) Mashed potatoes, butter, cheese and a little sweet potato.

If any one has any suggestions for recipes to chunk her up, send them my way :)

10 comments:

  1. wow she weighs less than jax! Madison was pretty tiny, too. I say feed her ice cream. Kids can't resist it and it's full of fat etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can she have peanut butter yet? I have heard it is good for chunking up kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that explains the constant changing of the diapers! :) I love the picture of Madeline as your new title. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beckett is really low on the percentile's for weight but really high for height. I talked to a nutritionist and she recommended me putting oil in his cereal and some foods (1/8 tsp, not too much) and to increase protein. He is putting on some weight but he won't stop moving so it isn't much. He eats all the time too so maybe our kids are just those skinny ones. (but in our case it does not run in the fam! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, i hear you about the skinny kids. max is in the 5% for height and weight. our doctor said to give him lots of whole milk. i'm just glad he got tyler's genes and not mine!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, goodness, pediatricians are crazy! All I have to say is don't worry too much! Kids are really resilient as I'm sure you know. I'm not saying don't listen to your doctor, just don't worry and trust YOUR INSTINCT!! If Madeline acts weak and tired I would really do something about it, if not, she is probably fine and just really enjoying the extra fat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ice Cream! And I can't believe she really is eating that on her tray, you are right, it doesn't look too appetizing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the ice cream and whole milk...Gabe has always been tiny, too, and I maintain that the height and weight charts are completely off. I mean, look how many comments there are about kids in the 5th percentile! But she's darling no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments. I think she has chunked up a little. She is obsessed with whole milk since I'm done nursing so that should help!

    ReplyDelete
  10. obviously, I can't relate... Brianna is a chunky monkey. But look on the bright side - Madeline is much easier to carry around!

    The person who suggested peanut butter had a good idea... or other kinds of nut-butters. But I'm not sure when they can have those. Ice cream... yeah, I think Madeline would enjoy that idea! Although she might not want vegetables afterwards... =) I like Anne's idea of putting oil in things. You could even mix veggies with some olive oil... good luck!

    OH - and the pic of her in the header is A-DOR-A-BLE! Seriously, so perfect. Sweet and cute, yet mischievous!

    ReplyDelete