Saturday, May 2, 2009

Book of Mormon challenge


I read the Book of Mormon everyday - well most days, but lately I feel I haven't been getting all I can out of my reading. Usually, it's because I'm so tired by the time I read it at night. I decided I need a change and a motivation to really read the Book of Mormon again. So I'm organizing a one-month read. Yes that's right. Finishing the Book of Mormon in one month. I've done it before and it is a great experience to really get immersed in the teachings and Spirit of Christ.

For those who aren't of my faith, you may be curious about the Book of Mormon. It is a companion to the Bible as another witness of Jesus Christ. For more information on the Book of Mormon or other beliefs of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, visit Mormon.org.

So I am posting about this because I want to invite everybody to join me. This is mostly for selfish reasons - so I make sure I finish on time :) I've set up another blog where we can chart our progress and people will be able to post about what they're reading, or questions they have and we can all comment about our experience. We'll start on May 11 and finish June 9. That's about 18 pages per day. When we finish, we can all celebrate "together" wherever we are! The blog is bookofmormonreaders.blogspot.com 

If you are interested in participating, comment or email me and I will add you as a contributor so you can post on our blog. Also feel free to invite your friends.

I have a testimony that the Book of Mormon is true and I am excited to read it again with more focus. I'm also looking forward to sharing this experience with all of you.

15 comments:

  1. Malerie, I am in! I could really use this right now. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, Mal! Count me in. I think I'm going to use that replica of the first Book of Mormon (the one that mom and dad gave us for Christmas). It seems like when you read like this, it reads like a novel, and that version makes it even more like that. I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good idea, Cass. I think I'm going to do that too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll try, I already am reading it as a challenge that our Bishop gave us. Is that cheating that I am already in to it? If not, count me in too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in Malerie! Thanks for the great challenge. You have no idea how much I need this right now. I can't wait to see the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of Course you're not cheating, Sam! It'll be fun to read it with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. mal i'm in!! great idea!! totally need this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in... but I'm scared I won't make it!!! You better call and make me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm definitely in! Each time I have read it in a short amount of time, it has changed me and helped me be a better person. I did it in a week one time, but I had to totally ignore my family which wasn't good. Didn't you do it in 24 hrs with the youth? This is great timing for me, Mal(my inspired sister). Thanks for the invite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds so great! I am in too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mal that's such a great idea! You can count me in too! I have never attempted reading it that quickly and am excited for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok I think I need something like this and who better to inspire me than you Mal. I'm going to take the challenge and see how I go. I know I can do it and I feel better doing it with some support. I'm glad I read your blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My thoughts went the same way as Crystal's - our one-day BOM marathon! That was crazy. I still have pictures from it. I remember feeling bad as we tried to hurry along the slower readers. And I remember the bishopric coming to visit, and us wearing our "cool 2 B good" shirts from Bishop Madsen. Hmmmm....
    I'm going to strongly consider accepting your challenge. I'm still trying to finish Preach My Gospel - I had a goal to do it in one year... and it's been almost TWO! Sad, I know. But maybe a one-month break from it would be good...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm in! Thank you for sharing your testimony with everyone of the Book of Mormon.

    ReplyDelete