Friday, July 24, 2009

I take that back...


So I had to laugh at my last post - all those sweet things I said about Madeline. Today I'm not feeling so generous with my compliments. Madeline is generally VERY good in public. She hardly ever makes a peep, but today was a whole new story. Nothing spectacular happened, just the behavior of an 18 month-2 year old.

I had to drop off our car to be worked on and walked over to the mall to wait for it. Madeline was ok at the beginning, but after an hour or so, she began to throw a fit. She wanted to be held, then wanted to get down, then wanted to run away. I had to wrestle her into her stroller. She has perfected this shrill scream - the type that makes her start to gag. She kept this up and people began to stare (believe me - I don't judge moms anymore). My plan was to just ignore her in her stroller, especially since I couldn't even reason with her - it was like she was possessed. I'm sure people thought I was a horrible mom. I felt completely out of control and really embarrassed. She hadn't done this before. We went to pick up our car. I forced her into the carseat - all the while she's screaming. We went home, she refused to eat lunch, (still screaming) so I put her in bed. She's been asleep for 2 1/2 hours and my sanity is slowly returning.

Is this what the terrible twos are? and how long does it last?

14 comments:

  1. Oh man I'm so sorry! A glimpse of what I have to look forward to, I'm sure. Great job through it all, and just relax with Matt tonight. You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that does not sound like a fun day. I dont have an 18 month old, but I just got home from the grocery store with Kate. She was screaming at the top of her lungs and nothing I could do would console her. As I'm trying to rush through the self check out lane a grocery worker walks over and says hi to Kate and two seconds later she stops crying. So some strange woman can console my baby but her own mother cant. What a great feeling. Oh the joys of being a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to hear that sweet, angelic little Madeline knows how to throw a fit. I was beginning to wonder what I did to deserve my three boys. Don't worry, it gets better by around age 5!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess she just needed to fall asleep? My question is if that's all they need, then why not snuggle onto moms shoulder and fall asleep? My kids seem to need to be placed in bed for that to happen.
    I have so been there Mal. And it's like you can feel the staring eyes on the back of your head. At least you weren't one of those moms that yell "shut up!" or "stop it" or "knock it off" at your 18 month old. My motto is "keep calm and who cares what anyone else thinks".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been going through the same thing with Chloe now for about 6 months. I am NOT happy to report that it's not getting any better. Just hang in there! I'm learning patience. Hopefully it will stick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read in an article on tantrums--nothing too enlightening. It said kids throw tantrums because they don't get what they want (real shocker, there) but I did take comfort in the fact that the article also reported that according to studies, other people do not think badly of the parents when a child throws a tantrum as long as the parents appear to be in control (even if they don't do anything to stop the tantrum).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya...I do not judge mom's anymore either! Its soo hard to tell the mood of your child before heading out for the day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've so been there. So many times. With Madi she had good days and bad days, but I learned to handle her bad days better and within about 18 months we got the tantrums pretty much under control (at least for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I am sorry but I'm laughing. Brings back so many wonderful memories. My favorite is of me 9 months prego with 2 kids asking for everything in the store while I shopped, and oh the whining. I actually had about 3 people help me get things off shelves, distract my kids with suckers, and bag up my groceries (it was a bag your own place) and take them out to the car. I must have looked pathetic. But I was so grateful for the help. All us moms are not judging you, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes you think the terrible two's start at 18 months, but in my experience, they don't really begin until they're 3. Poor Madeline, she was probably just reacting how we all really want to - good thing she's so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry i just had to laugh!!!! i am sure i will get an episode of that as well

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bummer! I was just discussing this issue with another friend the other day and we came to the conclusion that the only ones that judge are the ones that haven't gone through it themselves. It's amazing what a little empathy can do for our perspective. I'm sure you handled it gracefully though!!! I agree with Erica, hopefully you took it easy with Matt that night.

    ReplyDelete