Friday, April 23, 2010

Big Announcements


The first is...

We're having a BOY! I've felt all along that I was having a boy, but it's nice to have it confirmed. Matt was almost giddy when he heard the news. He was beaming :)

Having a second baby and an opposite gender has gotten me thinking about the differences I might encounter. I have felt like having a little girl for the past two years has come pretty naturally. I'm not sure how it will be having a boy, although I've heard mom and son relationships are something special too. Madeline has always been fairly mild tempered. No destruction, writing on walls, spilling things ln purpose or wreaking havoc. I don't really worry about her when she's in another room and is quiet for a long time. I usually find her reading quietly or playing house with her dolls. I wonder if I'm due for an energetic, curious, rambunctious boy? I'm excited to have one of each and although there will be adjusting, I'm sure Madeline will be helpful and a good big sister.

Two: Madeline is potty training and it is actually going surprisingly well! Last week we hung out at home and did the wear only underwear thing. At the beginning I thought I might give up. Definitely not one of my favorite jobs as a parent. Not having a washer and dryer with all of the accidents was not very fun, either. But it seemed to click after the first couple of days. She still wears a diaper some of the time and she consistently tells me she has to go and is quite proud of herself. I have been pleasantly surprised the last two days that she has been dry. I'm ready for setbacks and accidents and am not quite ready to go to underwear full time, but I think we've made progress and she seems thrilled with herself. Whenever anybody comes over, she tells them that she went pee. Sometimes she wants to bring her potty out and is ready to give them a demonstration. Next thing to work on is modesty...



And this picture is just for fun. Madeline loves to accessorize. She found one of my headbands and has been wearing it all morning.

12 comments:

  1. Exciting! That is so wonderful!!! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations! And an extra hooray for Matt who will no longer be the only man in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes boys are fun! I guess I don't know how a girl is though...Daniel is a handful...I have to be worried when he is quiet and in the other room! :) But I wouldnt trade him for anything! So exciting to have one of each! COngrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for both!! That is great!

    And that last photo is SO darling--she looks WAY too grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to know that those Disney princess books from the library are loved in more bathrooms that just ours! Just kidding! I really like the headband picture too! Congrat's on the boy. Ian reminds me of his "masculinity" every time he obsesses over balls or throwing them or kicking and hitting things. Usually not people though. If he finds a long stick, it ends up being used like a bat. If I take away a bath toy that he is splashing with too much, he proudly then uses his leg. Boys are definitely more physical. Did I mention he's now into climbing? Brooklyn never climbed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAAAAAAAAY! I am so excited! It will be so fun to have a nephew! I have a suggestion for a name. How about Charles Matthew? What do you think? Those little blue shoes are adorable. Congratulations M, M, and M!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow that will be so fun!! I hear ya on the concerns about raising a boy, a girl has just seemed a lot simpler so far! I mean what do you do when your son watches you put on makeup and wants to do it to?!
    Anyway, congrats! Have fun buying lots of cute boy clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations!! I'm sure you will be great with a little boy. Congratulations to Madeline too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A boy!! Yay!! Congrats congrats!! I am so excited to have a boy... I think there really is something special about the bond between a mom and her boys. You will be SO great :)

    Now let's see some bump pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. First off so excited or you!!! And this sentence "No destruction, writing on walls, spilling things ln purpose or wreaking havoc." Were you talking about my child? Because you described him perfectly. :) There is something special about boys and moms. I love it. Secondly... can I send Ryan over to you to be trained this week?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hurrah! This will be so much fun. That last picture of Madeline is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! I promise you are going to LOVE having a boy. As girly as I am, having Max has been heaven. It really is amazing how different little girls and boys are but you are such a wonderful mom I know you will love it.
    And good job Madeline on potty training! You're right, it is NO fun. That is one difference with boys...when it comes to potty training they are little more stubborn.
    And that is the cutest pic of Madeline with the headband. I can see a lot of Samantha in her.

    ReplyDelete