Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Four...

...is the number that has been running through my mind all night. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. He said I was dilated four centimeters. I'm 35 weeks (unless I'm more like 36 - can they really use a paper calendar to pinpoint a due date when every woman's calendar is slightly different?) Anyway, he didn't seem too worried about it, although when I was leaving he said, "I'll see you next week unless I see you sooner." Ok... And then the baby's heart rate was high, so I had to spend and hour and a half in labor an delivery while they monitored the baby. Everything looked great, so no worries there - just some anxiety of being in labor and delivery again.

Matt informed me that one of the definitions of "active labor" is being dilated to a four. So I'm feeling a little anxiety, especially since I don't feel ready AT ALL. I haven't read my baby books from cover to cover. Will I remember how to take care of a newborn and breastfeed successfully?! We don't have diapers, boy blankets, boy newborn clothes, etc. I'm not nervous about the actual delivery, I'm afraid I won't have that clear sign that I should go to the hospital. Once my water breaks, it goes fast for me, so I'm worried about not making it to the hospital on time, especially if I am delivering a preemie. My mom informed me that even with her fourth baby she had the same fears and it will work out just fine. I suppose she's right. I also have a bit of a pit in my stomach because we've hardly talked about names. Discussing names with Matt is not one of my favorite activities...

Here are a few of the things on my to do list for this week:

-Pack a hospital bag.
-Pack Madeline a bag.
-Finish making burp cloths and receiving blankets
-go to Target and buy all the newborn necessities - diapers, wipes, nursing pads, sleepers, bath stuff, etc.
-set up the cradle
-pull out the car seat and clean it.
-Take it easy and not overdo it so I can last a couple of more weeks :)

Oh boy! But I am really excited to see his little face - hopefully in a week or two just to be safe :)

When Matt walked out the door this morning, he called back, "Call me if you're going to have the baby today." haha. At least he works at the hospital so it will be easy to find him and I have my grandparents next door who are ready to take Madeline day or night.

Wish us luck.


12 comments:

  1. Good luck! I love your long list of stuff and the last one was take it easy. Ha ha ha! Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is really exciting! But tell Matt that he had better help you with that list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like any day! So nice you have your parents. You delivering where matt works? Are you letting him deliver you? excited to see pics! Take it easy so he can cook a little longer! excited for you! a little boy is the best....i guess i dont know any other...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness you are close to family! I think you should move "take it easy" to the top of your list though! Everything else will work itself out. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! We are excited for you guys. Your worries are totally normal!! I am like mom, no matter how many kids I have I think I will always have those same worries! Just means you are a good mom, who wants the best for her little ones. I'm sure everything will work out just right. Love ya and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck Malerie! Soon you will be a family of FOUR! And I think maybe you should do that list in REVERSE order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so exciting! Everything will go beautifully, no worries! I've been there in your shoes too. Lots of love and luck to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just take it one day at a time, one thing off the to-do list at a time, & you'll be fine. you have lots of help all around you. maybe some things just won't get done but things find a way of working out.

    this is the final stretch... yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no worries that you will be a wonderful mother for this little boy, but I do understand the anxieties.
    Good luck this week and whenever it happens

    ReplyDelete
  10. Malerie, this does sound like a stressful yet exciting time! I have been working on a blanket too, and am hoping to finish it up soon. What else can I do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are thinking about you and hoping baby boy Weed stays put for a little while longer :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can so, so, so relate to the anxiety over readiness. It's amazing how some things just magically come back to you, and others don't! Like I totally forgot that babies have to be burped after feeding, or they cry. And have to be changed a million times a day, or they cry. And want to suck all the time. Or they cry. So everytime they cry, you have to go through the mental checklist... are you hungry, gassy, messy... until you fix the problem.
    And breastfeeding... I wondered if I would remember too! That one came right back to me fast, though I was just as sore and hurting the first week as I was with baby #1. So maybe be prepared with some good Lansinoh cream and soothies! Those things saved my life.
    And here I go again, winning the contest for the longest comment...
    Good luck and best wishes for a healthy delivery!

    ReplyDelete