Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Just Kidding...

Last night around 1:00 I had been having pretty intense lower back pain, so Matt and I went to the hospital. I was happy that I was actually right - my contractions were 2-3 minutes apart. (what a relief to go in and be right) :) The nurse seemed pretty confident she would be admitting me. She monitored me and made me walk around the hospital for an hour to see if we could get things moving. That hour wasn't too bad. We went to the cafeteria where Matt got free food and then went up to the ICU where he visited with some friends. I was definitely uncomfortable having to walk around during contractions, but I was excited.

My hour was up - NO CHANGE! She called my doctor (poor guy and his wife - do they ever get used to middle of the night phone calls?) and he said to have me walk around for another hour. Now this is torture. Still having pretty decent contractions every few minutes. I sent Matt to bed, while I walked around (as fast as I could) passed the same nurses about a hundred times. I was in a lot of pain at this point. I wonder how many miles I put in?

My hour was up - HARDLY ANY CHANGE! When she checked me, I had a contraction and she said my bag of waters was really firm and was taking the pressure of the contractions instead of the cervix - hence the little change in dilation. She said, I think your water is going to have to break for anything to happen here.

So I got sent home. Sacred Heart is pretty conservative I think. They said they can't help labor along at all unless you're 39 weeks. I suppose it's not the right time for Baby Weed to come, but I'm trying to imagine myself with regular, uncomfortable contractions for two weeks. How will I sleep? How will I take care of Madeline and Matt? If my water does break, it's going to be fast and I'm bracing myself for the reality that there probably won't be time for an epidural.

I guess pregnancy keeps you humble as everything is out of your control. I'm glad everyone is healthy and that the end is sight. Just wish us luck...

10 comments:

  1. Yeah, it does sound like they're pretty conservative. Bummer. You got some good exercise in I guess (painful exercise :). Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Malerie! As far along as you already are I can't believe they sent you home. Keep walking around as much as you can. It might actually break your water. That's how it happened with Max. And with him, even after my water broke, I was in labor for another 24 hours. Yikes, labor and pregnancy are rough. Very much thinking of you guys right now!! GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! What a roller coaster night! I'm thinking of you constantly...And praying that timing will somehow be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. That sounds so frustrating! Best of luck throughout it, and Baby Weed if you somehow see this message: HURRY UP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Malerie, that sounds like a really hard night!! Maybe you could try some reverse psychology--you know, pretend that you don't want it to happen, and then maybe it will?

    Wishing you the best of luck for when Baby Weed does decide to come! Also wishing you as much comfort as possible until then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh, this makes me want to cry! i totally remember the pain of walking around the L&D halls & the torture those contractions are. baby weed is really making you work for it! he will be SO worth it... someday. haha.

    good luck, you're in my thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really stinks. How frustrating. 39 weeks seems a little extreme. I mean I'm sure you already have given baby medicine so he's ready if he comes early. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What?! Soo lame! My hospital said if I was dialated to a 4 they would for sure keep me. Even if I wasn't having any contractions. Weird. I kind of know how it feels, I was a 4 for 4 weeks with Tay! No fun! I'm so glad you made it this long:). You're awesome. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a crazy story! My favorite part was that you mentioned Matt got free food at the cafeteria, on the more serious side of the story...GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What is the matter with the two of us? :) We can hardly keep them in and then when it is time, they don't want to come out. Thinking of you guys!

    ReplyDelete