Monday, November 22, 2010

Charlie Boy


Charlie is 2 and a half months old. He had his check up today.

Stats:

Weight - 13 lbs, 1 oz - 64%
Height - 23 3/4" - 61%

Proportionate little guy...This kid is growing so fast! I don't think there will be any issues of low weight for him like we've always had with Madeline. Nice.

Charlie is a cute little thing. He's already wearing 3-6 months, and I'm sure will be out of that size in no time. You can always get a smile and coo out of him just after he's eaten. Madeline is great at making him happy. She's been calling him Charles lately, especially when she's trying to get him to stop crying (which I find pretty funny.)

This doctor's appointment was great. I left feeling so happy. Here's why-

Charlie has had a lot of tummy/gas issues. He seems a little better in that he doesn't cry for long periods as much anymore, but it definitely wakes him up at night and he grunts and groans all day long. Our ped suggested Culturelle, a probiotic given once a day to help his digestive system. Matt just read a study on babies with colic and 95% showed reduced colic symptoms after a week. I'm anxious to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes. I was mostly excited because a lot of people just say to ride it out until they get older or cut out a lot of things from your diet. I was surprised he had a suggestion. Hopefully this helps the poor guy out. (and me :))

Madeline started potty training way back in like March. We've been dealing with some issues ever since. Overall, she's got it down, wearing underwear during the day, etc. But she still has accidents occasionally and the #2 thing has always been hard to deal with. Without going into much detail :) she has functional constipation which means she holds it in and is afraid to go.
He said to give her Miralax to clean her out and then consistently until the fear of going is gone and it's just part of the routine. I should have addressed this a long time ago. I just thought it was a diet issue, which I was trying to be strict about.

I'm just really excited I came home with TWO good options to help my kids. I was really expecting to just be told to deal with it and that kids will outgrow it. Hopefully this will help everyone be a little happier around here :)

Yay for good doctors and cute kids.

5 comments:

  1. That is SO nice when the doctor takes you seriously and gives some real options. YEAH!! Charlie is SO cute might I add, I'm glad he's so 'proportionate' (I don't think i spelt that right). Anyway, I always love seeing whats up with you and your cute fam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for answers! Maybe I should try Miralax with Jaxon. i think he's dealing with that same issue. He holds it For-ev-er before he finally lets it out. I really hope Charlie gets happier too. Fussy babies can be so unnerving. It's SO hard to listen to crying all day and night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am so glad that Charlie's tummy troubles may be coming to an end! And Madeline too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had Taycie on Miralax for a good 6 months. It worked well and I was just glad I didn't have to deal with her shaking with pain anymore! Her body didn't become dependent on it but it did take awhile.... I hope all the suggestions work, I really like doctors. You can tell your husband that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, he is one studly little man. Don't you just want to munch on those cheeks all day long?!!! Glad it's all going well.

    ReplyDelete