Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tying up loose ends.

I have been feeling a lack of desire to blog. Maybe it's all of those boxes packed up in the living room and the empty ones in the garage that need to be packed. We are packing up the 22 foot DIESEL truck (yes we might become broke with the cost of driving a moving truck and car to Iowa) in a week. I'm making progress with packing, but it seems like every box I pack, I've got munchkins right behind me unpacking! Madeline thinks it's christmas and wants to know who gave us everything.

But I have been meaning to blog about my last couple of projects. Since I already packed up the main computer with the pictures on it, iphone pics will have to do.

Frames for my kids-

inspiration:
1. I love the idea of silhouettes. I've been wanting to do them for a while.
2. At this last LDS General Conference, our prophet, President Monson, reminded us to have a picture of the temple in each of our children's rooms.
3. I love subway art.

So I decided to combine them all into one! I saw someone had done temple silhouettes on etsy and thought - I could do that! I really liked how these turned out and I think it's fun that each of my kids can have the temple of where they were born. I can also update their silhouettes as they grow.

Here is a tutorial for silhouettes. I made all of these using Photoshop Elements and printed them on canvas textured scrapbook paper. The frames are from IKEA.




Madeline's Dress-

Does anyone else think toddler clothes have become WAY over priced? I saw this dress at Shabby Apple, thought it was darling, but $42?! Sorry, Kate (my cute sister-in-law works there)



Anyway, I thought, I could make something like that. I bought a $5 target t-shirt, cut off the bottom, used that to embellish it with a ruffled rose, added gathered fabric I already had as the skirt and stuck on a ribbon. It was a little tricky working with the stretchy t shirt, but I'm pretty happy with it and Madeline loves it. $8 isn't bad either. Here is a tutorial of one similar. I only sewed the ribbon to the front so I could tie it in the back. You could also do the same idea with a onesie.


Well, have a great week everybody. If I survive packing, moving and the 30 hours of driving with my kids, I'll be blogging from IOWA very soon!

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were moving to IA! Good luck :) I know I hate moving! Love the frames! Totally my style, love em! Dress is darling too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so crafty and I LOVE your Subway/Silhouette art! What a great thing to have in their room. Good luck during the move and I can't wait to hear all about your IA adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the silhouettes!!! This is SUCH an adorable idea. I think you should probably sell them on etsy or something - you could become a very rich woman. Actually when I have kids maybe i can pay you to make me some :)

    Good luck with the drive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mal, could all of your projects please be cuter? I think you have the most awesome ideas for putting things together! I LOVE the frames and the shabby apple dress- LOVE them! Good luck with packing and moving. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Shabby Apple too and I have to be honest....Most of the clothes I have gotten from them I could have made myself.
    I read this blog that is on my side bar called Sewing in No Mans Land....She does a lot of shabby apple knockoffs. Especially for girls. I have loved her stuff and its fun to make. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy Cow Malerie. That is amazing. I am so impressed. That is the cutest dress! We sure miss you guys but I hope that you are loving Iowa and getting settled. I sure hear you on the box thing. I have about 10 left I'm just dreading unpacking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mal, I'm going to miss you so much. Who will be my partner in crime with all of the projects floating around in my mind? Of course we'll miss the kids and Matt, too. But it has been a real treat to have you only a half an hour away. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with the silhouettes and you with all your crafty genius. Except i feel like I don't want my future children to meet you for fear of them abandoning me for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the silhouette art! I want to do these for each of my nieces and nephews for Christmas.....I think I can do the silhouettes, but did you just do the subway art yourself? Can you tell me how or what fonts you used? Thanks! And good luck in your new place. The beginning is the best time to move around! Where do you guys think you'll end up?

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohmygosh. Must. Make. Those.
    But can't.
    Must. Hire. Malerie.

    ReplyDelete