Thursday, July 7, 2011

We made it!

It's time for a post since I'm feeling like things are a little under control. There are still boxes to be unpacked, but life feels like it's getting back to some kind of "normal."

I'm not sure how we survived the 34 hour drive. The kids did really well. The last day there were a couple of hours where they fell apart. My mom is really a saint for driving with me. Nothing about that trip would be appealing! She stayed a few days, too, to help me unpack. Thanks, Mom! The day we moved in there was a National Weather heat advisory because in addition to the 95 degree weather, the humidity was so high you were advised to either stay indoors or go to the pool. I don't think I've ever sweat that much unloading our moving truck. I was starting to question the decision to come to Iowa. The heat/humidity was unbearable! But it has cooled off and isn't so bad anymore.

Iowa City is really charming. It feels so familiar and inviting. There is a gorgeous river that runs through the city. It doesn't feel all that flat. No mountains, but plenty of hills. Our town home is out in the country with the corn fields! We are 15 minutes east of "downtown." It seems "far" from everything else but our neighborhood is really gorgeous with ponds and walking trails. The people are out of this world friendly. It's awesome.

Some of the highlights so far?
-The fireflies out in the evening. Matt and I took a walk the other night without the kids. So magical!
-Madeline's extra curls due to the humidity
-decorating our fun townhome
-spending time with my mom
-Iowa City has an incredible parks and recs program with immaculate parks all over. We checked out one of their pools on July 4th. Lots of fun!
-Watching fireworks in a new place. They were spectacular, especially with the little fireflies all around.
-Feeling at home already in our church ward and the city in general.

I'll post pictures of our new place, but first I need to figure out where the camera cord is.... :)

10 comments:

  1. This all sounds so great! how exciting to be in your new place! And I can't wait to see Madeline's additional curls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats to you all! I'm sure Iowa loves you right back! So happy that you're happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That sounds like so much fun - an amazing adventure! The people in the Midwest are so friendly. .. what a neat time in your lives!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making it! That really is pretty incredible, such a long drive for both you and your mom. (And she IS a saint!) Iowa sounds so, so nice! I'm happy for you. Enjoy decorating! That is the best part of moving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so wonderful. Maybe we need to move to Iowa as well; you described it beautifully! You are such an amazing wife and I love all the adventures you and Matt have taken in your marriage. Cheers to a new hometown and another adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! I'm so glad you made it and it sounds like you're having a good time!

    Can't wait for you to find that power cord :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on making it! Once you get all settled in I want to come visit! Iowa sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love new beginnings! Although, I am kinda sad, I told Kory that we had to come and see you at XMAS when we saw his parents. I just cannot wait to meet you someday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adventure. Glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on being done with intern year. I remember it being completely miserable for my sister. And Iowa sounds very cute. It will be a fun change. We still miss you here in San Diego though.

    ReplyDelete