Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just a typical Saturday in Iowa City

I am constantly amazed at how much there is to do here, considering it's such a small city. (Maybe the winter is different...I'll let you know) Matt and I have noticed how educated and community-oriented everyone is and how everything is kept up so nicely. I don't think I've seen a bad neighborhood anywhere.

On Saturday, we dropped Matt off at work, and went to check out downtown Iowa City. In the middle of downtown, there is an outdoor "pedestrian mall" The streets are lined with trees, restaurants, have live music, farmers' markets, art and jazz festivals and the public library, which I might add is one of the best I've been to.


That day, there was a "Sand in the City" competition with sand sculptures and a huge pile of sand for kids to play in. (not quite the ocean, but hey, still cool!)


There was also an art, craft and food market where locals sell their homemade goods. (I may have signed up for a booth for next month's...ugh...what was I thinking!) It was so much fun to walk around downtown with the live music and happy kids in the stroller.



The weather was perfect, too. We hit up the library after that before heading home.

A few hours later, I dropped the kids off at a friend's house (yes, can you believe it? I've already made good friends. yipee!) And I went to pick Matt up from work and drive 2 hours to Des Moines to see DEF LEPPARD. Matt has always wanted to see them and they were playing up at the internationally acclaimed Iowa Sate fair, which by the way is on the list of New York Times 1000 places to visit before you die.

We only got a glimpse, but the place was packed. The big thing this year at fairs is I guess, DEEP FRIED BUTTER? Really? Disgusting...



The concert was great. Heart opened and played maybe three too many songs, but was entertaining. Def Leppard was great, too. The highlight for me was watching their one-armed drummer jam out. There was a lot of 80s- ness going on that night!!!


The best part was getting an 8 hour date with Matt. And having friends who let us pick up our kids at 1:30 am! It felt like we were young again! haha :)

What a great day to be in Iowa.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! So fun! I wish I lived there! Utah is majorly boring:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is soooooo funny! we almost went to the fair that same day and decided not to! i would have gone for sure if i knew you were going! next time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep fried butter sounds incredibly repulsive, but everything else sounds so fun! How nice to like where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I generally like all things deep fried but I think even I'd have to pass on deep fried butter. Good luck on the booth, if anyone can do it it is you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how many positive things you have found in Iowa and how you have embraced your new hometown. Sounds fabulous!

    Glad you guys also got a date! You two are too cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. um, you got to see def leppard AND heart? you lucky dog! i grew up on that stuff. sounds like iowa is a pretty sweet place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you trying to make Iowa sound amazing so we will come and visit...well, it might be working. A few more craft farmers markets and tree-lined streets and I might be there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agree with krystle, you are making Iowa sound awesome. I'm glad you got to go out, it really does make all the difference. It's so great you got a booth. You're very talented. People are going to buy up everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is awesome! i am so happy to see that iowa is fun and pretty. and i'm jealous that you already have friends... incredibly jealous in fact. i keep trying to find someone on campus to watch my kids but to no avail...

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like such a magical place! Educated people who care about their community...I'm stunned. :) Glad to see you're all settling in nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the comment on my blog! Yeah, I'm really not sure about the cell phone thing, because I can see both sides of it. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it! And yes, I'm going to try to blog more about parenting-type things we try. That way my blog can keep me accountable! :)

    ReplyDelete