Monday, August 1, 2011

My Grandma would be Proud

Grandma Bates turned 97 years old this week. She is almost blind now, but still manages to create things out of things she already has. Recently, she made charlie a little pillow out of some of my grandpa's pajamas. Or bookmarks out of ribbon. She is known for her "I am a Child of God" bookmarks made from pressed flowers that were grown in her yard. She sent thousands of them all over the world with missionaries. I have fond memories of spending the day with her creating things in her basement. I know it has been hard for her to get old, lose her sight and mobility because she can't sit still and wants to be creating.


I called her on her birthday last Friday, excited to tell her about my latest project. She was thrilled and has been telling all of her visitors about it.

From this (circa 2003)

To This:

To This:


This cute little dress cost me $1.50! The hardest part for me was trying to figure out the pattern, but once I got past that, it was fairly simple. Here is the tutorial

I'm pretty sure I may have a little of Grandma Bates in me...

9 comments:

  1. That is so cute! You make me want to learn to sew! If only you lived nextdoor... :) Who knows, maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love it when we can share something like that with those who inspired us. my grandmother totally does the same for me. very cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing! I love it! Her little smile is adorable too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So darling! I want to make it now too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome, I am in love with Madeline's new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing that certain traits come through generations. You are amazing! And Madeline...I want to hold her hand and go play with the dollhouse, kitchen etc....must plan trip to Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cute! The model makes it even cuter!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cool, Malerie! Wish I could be amazing like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Malerie, you are so crafty! That dress is so cute.

    ReplyDelete