Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Big Craft Fair

Thank you for being so supportive. Many of you have been asking how it went, so here it is -

It was SO much fun. I loved talking with people and having them admire something I made with my own hands. I'm used to living in places where making crafts is just the thing to do, but here, everyone couldn't believe I could make things like that! They were even fascinated with the pom poms, which in San Diego were standard fare for any baby shower or party. (I love you little Iowa!) My booth and my products were very well received. I just wish I would have sold a little more!



The favorite items were the mary jane shoes and the tie and vest onesies. But my visitors pretty much fell into two categories:

1. Grandparents who didn't know if a girl or boy was on the way
2. Everyone else who wished they had a baby to buy for





My goal was to at least break even. And I actually made a profit. But the whole set up with one car, kids and a busy husband made it kind of a big ordeal. I couldn't have done it without Matt. He was so kind to let me do this fair. (The cleanliness of the house took a backseat while I prepared everything!) And he took his precious day off to help me set up my booth at 7 am, take the kids all day, and help me load up and take two trips home. He was great, didn't complain and was happy to help me. Setting up my booth with just the two of us was really fun. It was cute to watch him hang pom poms, adjust the tablecloth, cut ribbons, etc :) He had the idea to hang the onesies some forward, some backwards and it worked out great.

I would love to do it again....maybe next year! I had a blast, but I'm not sure the money is worth the hassle. I'm pretty sure I should stick to being a harpist. It's a much more efficient way to make money! I actually handed out a ton of my business cards for harp. I met three couples with children getting married, and made friends with the event planner for the University of Iowa. So maybe this little craft fair will open some doors to some gigs. I'm debating about opening an etsy shop to sell some of the things I have left over. If anything, I've got some darling baby gifts on hand!

14 comments:

  1. i will come down next year and be your assistant! just so we can talk and hang out and the boys can play with the kids! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! I've been wondering about this! Sometimes it's fun to have something to work toward even if it isn't a huge money-maker. I'm sure you still improved your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looked great!! You should definitely sell the remainder in an Etsy shop. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...your sign is just amazing. Did you make it? LOVE it! And everything in your booth! If I had seen your stuff I would have scooped up quite a few little minis for baby showers, even not knowing if it was for boy or girl. Very good Mal. Yes! Etsy! I bet you would do well there. :) ps - glad you love your new state, and way to take a chance and put yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...your sign is just amazing. Did you make it? LOVE it! And everything in your booth! If I had seen your stuff I would have scooped up quite a few little minis for baby showers, even not knowing if it was for boy or girl. Very good Mal. Yes! Etsy! I bet you would do well there. :) ps - glad you love your new state, and way to take a chance and put yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats awesome that you put together a whole booth. Very well done. Those little shoes are super cute. Let us know when you get theonline store up; we may need some baby shower gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of it! You are so incredibly talented, Malerie. And yes to Etsy in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I could have come! I totally would have bought something!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome malerie! glad it was a good experience. i'm still kicking myself that we never played harp-piano duets together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Ten points for Matt! That's what Brian has to do for me when I get ready for big races. Yay for supportive husbands! I hope you DO get more harp gigs - and you should blog about those! I don't remember you blogging about doing them. And post a video. (I know, I'm so demanding :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew it would be well received!! I am so glad you even made a profit. That is so fun Mal. You are amazing!

    PS a few people have asked me about my diaper bag and want to know if your selling them :) You are pretty dang talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok Malerie,

    My turn to pay you back for all the sweet things you say to me:)

    This looks AMAZING!! Every last detail was there. Those were some of the cutest baby bits I've ever seen. I WANT/NEED a diaper clutch- even though I don't have a teeny baby right now! LOL darling my friend. You are awesome...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would've bought from you - if I had a baby, that is. Good Job Mal - it looks like a ton of work!

    ReplyDelete