Monday, May 7, 2012

Attempt at your own risk

My sister-in-law is getting married this summer, so I have been on the hunt for a special dress for Madeline.  I saw a darling FREE tutorial and thought I could save some bucks.
Plus, my mom is in town and I truly believe she can make/fix anything, so I planned this "little" project for us to do.

It has been a nightmare. :)

My mom just shook her head when I said I had found a tutorial.  As a seasoned seamstress and wise mother, she knew better than to think it would be easy. And she was right.  A day or two project turned into a week of sewing, taking out stitches, confusion, frustration, crazy ruffles, more sewing, more taking out and this repeated several times.

I was given a free pattern, which is really great.  I'm amazed at how generous people are with their talents.  And she did say it was an untested tutorial and may contain mistakes.  But just in case you want to attempt it, I think she skipped a few steps in her directions and to get the right fullness in the skirt, I think you need an extra pattern piece.  Anyway.. I guess we bonded and it's pretty much done. My mom had to make up a few steps and it worked out.  I'm still toying with the idea of adding an organza sash around the waist with a big bow in the back.  We'll see.

I think it looks cute on her. I used pre-ruffled mini fabric for the bodice and silk shantung for the skirt.

Here is the original tutorial

Twas the Night Free Dress Pattern

Good luck. :)





8 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! It looks totally worth the pain (easy for me to say). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! It is so beautiful! She looks wonderful, I'm just sorry it was so difficult. At our house, we always say Malerie can do anything, so Malerie and Mom are an even greater team. Thanks for making something so very beautiful for the wedding

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any chance you could whip me up a matching dress in pale dove gray?

    Malerie, you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is darling! It amazes me that you would want to make a dress rather than buy one! But this really will be perfect for the wedding - so unique and personal.

    Can I bring my future's daughter's prom dresses to you to make modest? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning! I vote yes for the bow and sash!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the rough week, but the dress is adorable! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is super cute Mal, but I'm too scared now to even try it. Great job ladies - I think both of you together can do pretty much anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful color on madeline! she looks gorgeous and your work is astounding as always

    ReplyDelete