Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent Calendars

I love seeing different advent calendars. You can find about a million different ones on pinterest. We currently have three in our house right now. One is wooden with little doors you open each day.  That one has candy in it.  My sister, Cassi, sent us one for our computer - the Jacquie Lawson Advent Calendar. I think I look forward to this one just as much as the kids.  It's a view of London with a different activity or scene that's unlocked each day.

The third one is one I've wanted to make for a few years.  It's one I loved growing up.  My mom made this felt advent calendar in the 70s at a church craft day. I love that it focuses on the real Christmas story.  You move Mary and Joseph up the trail each day and on Christmas, you put Baby Jesus in the manger.



Cassi and her cute girls traced all of the pieces and sent them to me.  I don't know who came up with this idea, but they are pretty darn creative.  Once I got going on mine, I got a little annoyed with all of the tiny pieces that I kept losing, and that needed to be doubled, ironed on and stitched, but I'm happy with how it came out and my kids are loving it.  Some traditions just need to keep going!


3 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! I bet this took a long time to make, but probably so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this advent calender a lot. I bet it will be a great memory for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best advent calendar ever!

    ps - can you take the word verification requirement off your settings? Not to be a whiner... but I hate typing those in! You can always put it back on if you start getting spam. Pleeeeeasee? :)

    ReplyDelete