Sunday, April 14, 2013

38.5


I have gone longer with this pregnancy than my other two, so I'm in uncharted territory.

I had an appointment on Thursday.  I not so secretly hoped she'd just send me in because I was so far along, so I had my hospital bag with me, things for matt, a babysitter for my kids.  But I also didn't want to get my hopes up since I've been dilated for weeks. Well, my doctor said I was dilated to a five.  Because of hospital policy, she can't help along labor until 39 weeks.  She did schedule a day for me to come in though, which made me happy.  At least I wouldn't be overdue!  I don't mind being "normal" and carrying a full 40 weeks like everyone else, but when I'm so far dilated and my deliveries are fast - like 20 minutes fast, I fear my water will break on me and I'll be trying to figure out how to be my own doctor. :)

Well, last night I started having regular contractions.  They were coming every 3-5 minutes.  They weren't painful, but I figured we should go in.  I finished making cookies with the kids, packed up our stuff, dropped the kids off at a friends for the night and Matt and I drove to the hospital.  I was concerned my contractions would stop once I got there, but they got more intense. Oh good, maybe something was going to happen tonight!

I went to triage and was put on the monitors. Perfect, I'm not crazy.  Contractions were coming every 3 minutes.  The resident on call came and checked me.  Hmm...still a 5.  He suggested we walk around the hospital for a couple of hours.  Since Matt got to spend yet another night at the hospital, he showed me every nook and cranny, told me stories, visited the cafeteria, etc. And since I wanted to make this count, we only rested for about 20 minutes out of the whole two hours.  About a half an hour into our little stroll, I started getting really uncomfortable.  Contractions were painful and still coming close together.  Matt was a good sport.  He carried on a conversation with me while I mostly huffed and puffed.  About half way through, I realized that nothing was going to change and we were going home.  The same thing happened with Charlie.  I felt miserable. We finished out the time frame anyway and headed back up to labor and delivery.

No change.  He said if I had progressed at all, he would have just broken my water.  ugh...  Everyone explained over and over how they can't induce labor before 39 weeks ( i was 3 days shy of this cut off) because of this and that, and I understand.  It must have not been the right time for this little guy. My favorite part of the whole night was when the nurse gave me my discharge notes.  It had a list of things to watch for.  When she got to the line about "come in if you have 5 contractions in one hour" she stopped and we laughed.  I was currently having like 15. :)

I was in a lot of pain last night when we got home, but luckily I was so exhausted I slept well and our friends kept our kids, so I got to wake up when I wanted to.  I'm still having pretty regular contractions, but I've got 3 days left.  That's definitely doable.  I'm getting so excited to meet this guy.  I guess I just like to do most of the prep work the months and days before labor, which will hopefully make it a quick and uneventful day on Wednesday.  Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Wednesday is good, girl! That's not too far away. I had a couple of false starts with Quinn (nowhere near as real as being IN the hospital, though!), and I thought it was really hard emotionally! I was crushed! But hang in there! You'll have sweet little guy in your arms before you know it, and those days of waiting will slowly start to fade in your memory. :) Wish I could come to your house and keep you distracted tomorrow!!

    Also, it's super cute that Matt could tell you all about the hospital and his experiences there. Ryan and I walked laps around on the delivery floor for hours with Trenton, but we didn't have tons to talk about! haha

    Good luck and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck! you should have had matt break your water. ha ha Can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck! so excited for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did the same thing with Nate! I made it within ten days of my due date (huge record!), dilated to a five and almost 100% effaced. They have the same rule here, but at my last appointment before 39 weeks, my midwife finally just said, "I don't care what it takes, I am going to get you admitted tomorrow. I don't want to be watching the 10 o'clock news and see you on the side of the road delivering a baby." And she somehow convinced the hospital. Boy was I grateful because like you, I had already done A LOT of work--like 22 weeks of work already. Nate took three hours to come, which included going into the hospital, registering, being hooked up and finally starting the medication. I think it was about 25 minutes from start of medicine to delivery. I am getting SO excited for you guys! I can't wait to hear when he arrives!

    ReplyDelete